The nation's favourite lyrics of all time are:
1. U2 - One. "One life, with each other, sisters, brothers."
2. The Smiths - How Soon is Now? "So you go, and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own, and you go home, and you cry, and you want to die."
3. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit. "I feel stupid and contagious, here we are now, entertain us."
4. Bob Marley - Redemption Song. "Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds, have no fear for atomic energy, 'cause none of them can stop the time."
5. Coldplay - Yellow. "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you."
Well, according to VH1 they are anyway - and it was decided by public vote from a shortlist, so it must be true, right?
You'd think I'd approve of a top 5 that included both Coldplay and The Smiths, wouldn't you? Well I don't. For starters I bet I could think of better lyrics by all of the top 5.... in some cases, better lyrics from the same song.
It's silly AND it just gives everyone an excuse to play that pointless, shockingly poor version of "One" featuring Mary J. Blige. What on earth are U2 hoping to achieve by releasing that? It's a good song, it's true, and there is some real emotional power in those lyrics - but the more I hear that ridiculous woman warbling over the top of it, the more I realise that Johnny Cash's stripped-down version has so much more power and is probably definitive. Has *any* song ever been enhanced by all that pointless vocal showboating that people like Blige, Mariah Carey, Sealion Dion and the like have made their stock in trade? I seriously doubt it.
I'm sure we've played this game before, but what's your favourite lyric?
I like loads, but for this evening I think I'll choose REM's "A simple prop to occupy my time" (from "the one I love"). Has there ever been a crueller and more concise dismissal of a relationship? People smooch to that when they play it live. They should listen more carefully.
(I hope you all had a good Easter break, by the way)
Pandemic Legacy Season 2: April
1 week ago