Chernobyl - I was about 12 when that happened... 18 years ago. Some stats.
- 100,000 people evacuated from the blast zone in Belarus, Ukraine and Russia
- 25 000 of the 800 000 liquidators have so far died as a result of their exposure to radiation
- Estimated total number of deaths so far - 100,000
- c. 1800 children and adolescents in the most severely contaminated areas of Belarus have contracted cancer of the thyroid because of the reactor disaster
- this number expected to rise to 8,000 in the next 10 years
- The number of breast cancer cases in Gomel (Belarus) has doubled
Let's not let the veracity of the photos get in the way of this ongoing tragedy.
Post a Comment